3 things to know about Medicare Part B:
Medicare Part B provides medical insurance coverage. It covers many different services such as doctor visits and medical services.
Part B is optional. If you are automatically enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B, you can opt out of Medicare Part B. When you receive your Medicare card in the mail, just follow the instructions that come attached and send the card back. If you do not follow these instructions, you will be enrolled in Part B and must pay the Part B premiums.
Join our email series to receive your free Medicare guide and the latest information about Medicare and Medicare Advantage.
By clicking "Sign me up!” you are agreeing to receive emails from MedicareAdvantage.com.
Part B is considered medical insurance. Part B covers a wide variety of medical services, including the following:
Your Part B costs will come in the forms of premiums, deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance.
Part B comes with a monthly premium. Many people pay the standard premium amount of $164.90 per month in 2023.
You may pay higher or lower premiums than the standard premium based on how you pay your premium or your yearly income.
Part B also comes with a $226 annual deductible in 2023. Part B will not cover anything until you pay that amount each year that you use the coverage.
In addition to the annual deductible, you must pay for a portion of the services covered by Part B. Usually, you must pay 20% of the Medicare-approved amount for a service. Part B covers the other 80%.
So if your doctor charges Medicare $100 for a service covered by Part B, you could have to pay $20. Part B will pay for the remaining $80.
Speak with a licensed insurance agent
Christian Worstell is a senior Medicare and health insurance writer with MedicareAdvantage.com. He is also a licensed health insurance agent. Christian is well-known in the insurance industry for the thousands of educational articles he’s written, helping Americans better understand their health insurance and Medicare coverage.
Christian’s work as a Medicare expert has appeared in several top-tier and trade news outlets including Forbes, MarketWatch, WebMD and Yahoo! Finance.
Christian has written hundreds of articles for MedicareAvantage.com that teach Medicare beneficiaries the best practices for navigating Medicare. His articles are read by thousands of older Americans each month. By better understanding their health care coverage, readers may hopefully learn how to limit their out-of-pocket Medicare spending and access quality medical care.
Christian’s passion for his role stems from his desire to make a difference in the senior community. He strongly believes that the more beneficiaries know about their Medicare coverage, the better their overall health and wellness is as a result.
A current resident of Raleigh, Christian is a graduate of Shippensburg University with a bachelor’s degree in journalism.
If you’re a member of the media looking to connect with Christian, please don’t hesitate to email our public relations team at Mike@tzhealthmedia.com.